Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Family Fun Night

Last night we went to Claire's school's PTA Family Fun Night. I thought I was so smart and dressed her in bright orange. The inflatables are in all primary colors, so it didn't really help much, but the only better option I think would be all black. I'll wait until the teenage years for that. It was so amazing to watch her mingle with the kids. She found her 2 girlfriends from school and they ran around playing. She even had a 5th grade friend from the bus. She (the fifth grader) was so sweet and came over to talk to me, said they rode the bus together, introduced herself. Claire and her did a high 5, apparently they do that when they get on or off the bus, maybe both. I also ran into a mother from Claire's preschool, her son is a year older than Claire, so he is in 1st grade, but turns out he lives a block away! Long story short, Claire had told me he was on the bus with her in the afternoons, but sometimes she thinks when people have the same name they are the same person, so I wasn't really sure if it was the same boy or not. In this case it was. Later in the evening she latched onto 2 older girls, they were all about the same height, and they had fun bouncing in the inflatables. I began chatting with the moms as we watched the kids. Eventually I asked what grade they were in, they both said 2nd grade. Whoa. I left it at that, I wasn't going to volunteer Claire's grade, but they were polite and reciprocated. I said Kindergarten, Wow, when are you singing her up for basketball? was the reply. She went through a big growth spurt this summer and she has grown another quarter an inch since August. In her Kindergarten class there is a height chart with all the kids names, morning and afternoon classes, and there are only 2 kids taller than her. Being tall is a GOOD thing, I keep telling myself and it is and she could very well even out and slow down on down the road. In the meantime, sometimes it is tough when she has the height of an eight year old instead of a 5 year old. So I took a picture of Claire at every water break to show the progression of dishevel. Her hair progressively got more messed up and by the end her cheeks were so pink and she was sweating so much. Clearly I will need to take her her on rainy days more often. My computer science degree becomes less and less relevant as the years pass and I have not yet figured out how to get pictures to show up horizontal. My (2) Rude Awakening Moments - The first one was watching a girl pin down another girl and spit in her face. For the record, I do think there was a chance they were siblings. The other was a 1st grader whose Mom was pulling her out of an inflatable for kissing a boy. Whew! We're not in Preschool anymore. So I have many posts in progress, so look for quite a few to come through in the next few days. We have been sooooo busy this week! Sometimes posts get stale and I never post them, but I have around 5 already started, so some should make it! Talk to you soon! Danielle

No comments: