Yesterday was a hard day. It started off good, we woke up at a reasonable time. I had gotten our lunches packed, clothes picked out, as much as I could the night before had already been done. Then my housecleaner emailed and canceled. Then I couldn't get Graham dressed. We had gymnastics at 9:30am, so I made him walk outside with no shoes, a t-shirt and a diaper and I planned to get him dressed at class. Then we drove a quarter of a mile down the road and hit a dog.
Yes, I hit a dog, but luckily for all of us, dog included, I had just left the house and was going up a hill, so we were going pretty slow. I saw 2 dogs playing by the side of the road and then one darted out in front of me. I stopped the car and got out, 2 neighbors emerged from their houses. I asked if it was their dog and they said no. One neighbor shook his head and said he wondered when one of the dogs would get hit since they were always running through the neighborhood. The lady whose yard the dogs had been playing in had taken the dog in a year ago when he was a puppy and had found the owner. So I wrapped the dog in a blanket and followed the neighbor to the street over where she thought the owner lived. In the meantime I called the police department and started the report. As we were driving the dog around, the kids were under the impression that it was now OUR dog. Claire was talking about needing to get him a lease and Graham was saying can we keep him, Yippee we got a dog. Oh boy! We ended up not finding the dog's owner, so I took the dog to the vet and let the police department know where he was in case the owner called them. Once at the vet I got Graham dressed and explained to Claire that we weren't going to make it to gymnastics. She was pretty upset, but I explained that it was important to help the dog, basically, I made it a learning experience. The dog had a microchip and we left thinking they would find the owner. We went to get ice cream. It was 10 in the morning but I couldn't think of anything else to do and we needed to do something. I wish I had remembered the open jump time at the inflatable place, but I was under some stress at this point.
So here we are, pictures of us having ice cream at the nice local place (after driving to a closed BR and DQ) that doesn't usually open until 11am, but scooped us some ice cream because I said we were having a rough day.
The dog has a broken hip and the microchip was a dead end, so signs are being posted and they are looking for the owner. I will call to check on him tomorrow.
Hope to get some Halloween pictures up soon, we had 2 parties today! Today was a good day.
2 comments:
Oh my! What a way to start the day!
Here is how I see it: the Universe was trying to prevent you from being somewhere at a certain time....maybe to save you from harm! First it threw in the obstacle of Graham refusing to get dressed. Then it tossed the dog into the mix since the first obstacle was about to be overcome. This dog may have saved your lives! :)
Last year, my friend Tracie (Leland's wife) had a very strange series of events happen to her that delayed her trip to an ice cream shop with her daughter (actually the BR by Elizabeth's). When they got there they found out that the shop had just been robbed at gunpoint!
Its always amazing to me danielle, you take any situation and chaos with such grace.
What a tough day.
Post a Comment