Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's Eve Broom Hockey

For New Year's Eve one of Grandma Mona's co-workers rented the Everett Ice Arena for Broom Hockey. At 6:30pm, with brooms in hand, we headed to Everett. The kids (and Warren) headed straight out with their brooms. Mom and I attempted to create a bubble around the kids to deflect any stray brooms. We traded off between Claire and Graham, they traveled at different speeds (Claire faster) and different degrees of hunching our backs (Graham is shorter) so switching gave us a chance to catch our breath or stretch our back. We got a workout! Warren fell several times while attempting to make awesome scores from ridiculous distances through a sea of people. I assisted in helping Graham take a sweet swing at the ball. After that as my arms instinctively went around him when the ball came near, he shrugged me off. I asked him, 'Do you want to do it by yourself? Do you want Mommy to help' A strong 'NO!' was my reply. I was shrugged off several more times before I took the hint and let him do it on his own. Just as I was telling Mom we only had to make it through 10 more minutes, Claire was left unguarded and took a blow to the forehead. And so our broom hockey initiation was cut short. Next year we will bring tennis shoes, brooms AND helmets. Happy New Year! Danielle

No comments: