Monday, January 26, 2009

A New Adventure and a Contest

Today I purchased a long arm quilting machine and embarked upon the journey of beginning a new business. Most of you have seen my previous post where I explained the long arm machine that I rent and posted pictures of me with it. This is something I have dreamed of doing for several years and something Warren and I have talked seriously about for the last 3 years. The many steps I took to get to this point included reading up on machine quilting as a business, researching the need with my local quilt shop, taking classes to work a long arm, renting a long arm at a local quilt shop, test driving every machine on the market and waiting until it fit into our already busy lives. As Graham got closer to getting ready to begin preschool, I realized the time was upon me. If I am going to do this the time is now. The machine is large, it will take up most of my sewing room. It is on a 12 foot frame and needs 13 feet by 7 feet of clearance to walk around it. They will begin building it this week and it should be shipped in 4-5 weeks. In the meantime I prepare. I need to get a web site up and running, business cards, brochures, make room for the machine, buy batting and piece together as many quilt top as I can so I have lots to practice on and I can hit the ground running. Here are the contest details! I need help coming up with a clever name. Send me as many ideas as you can think of, the deadline is February 8th. Don't send Quilting by Danielle, I already came up with that, but it's the best I have so far. The winning name submitter will receive a $25 gift card of their choice. My plan is to practice the first month and get to know my machine. The second month I will be offering half price quilting services. I will have a limit to how many I will accept so this is first come first served. If you have any quilt tops patiently waiting to be quilted I would love to help you get them on a bed! Also keep me in mind for school auctions and other fundraisers, I will happily donate gift certificates for quilting services. I am excited and scared, but mostly excited! This is the perfect fit for me in so many ways and I am glad I have so much to do in the next 5 weeks because it is going to be hard to wait for my machine to get here!

10 comments:

Jenna said...

hummmmmmmmm, I will think up some names:)

Jen said...

How exciting!!! I need to talk to you about posting your business in a few places online. Also, I can make your business cards and brochures! I can also help you with a logo! I am bad at coming up with business names n' such but I will think about it. Actually, check online for business card printing, I had a tricky time getting the printer and pre-scored cards lined up. I used Vista Printing (or something like that) and also got return address labels and a stamp, etc. If you want a logo you might want to wait until you have that before ordering some of that stuff. FUN! Let's talk! Don't be scared, as far as businesses go, it's a pretty small investment! I know that I would hire you, that is my least favorite part of making quilts:)

MCMom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MCMom said...

Congrats Danielle...so much to look forward to! Google sites is a very quick and cheap (as in FREE) way to put up a Website in a hurry, once you have a name picked out. Even though I know how to do hard-core coding, I use it for our church Website because it's so simple to use. Meanwhile, I'll ponder the business name question.

Andrea

Katrina W. said...

Congratulations, Danielle. What a perfect business for you!

I love Finely Finished as a name, first, because phonetically it sounds like "Finally Finished" (and I know SO many quilters who've got quilts that need to be finished, finally!), and secondly, because of the definition of "finely" (see below) and how well it fits any project you're involved in: extremely, precisely, excellently well done!

finely
Pronunciation:
\ˈfīn-lē\
Function:
adverb
Date:
14th century

: in a fine manner: as a: extremely well : excellently b: with close discrimination : precisely c: with delicacy or subtlety

Congrats again, and I definitely have some quilts for you to finish for me! Looking forward to supporting your new business.

-Katrina

Danielle said...

Thank you so much for the helpful information. It looks like my machine is coming earlier than expected! I went to a machine quilters meeting today and got some great tips from other longarmer's! I wish I knew what the deleted comment was!

Jen said...

I LOVE Katrina's idea! Finely Finished Quilts!

Danielle said...

Ohhh, I like finely finished, that is good Katrina and clever, I like it!

Jen said...

I still need to get my baby quilt squares back to you! You could practice on it with your new machine! Sorry I have kept them so long....I hope it isn't coming across as unappreciated...

Katrina W. said...

I have some of the squares too, for Jen's quilt... and, I've got a quilt to finish as well. ;)

Good. Glad you like the name idea. It just seemed to fit.