Over the weekend the limp got much better, but the fever and lethargy persisted. Then he developed a bizarre spitting habit. So we went in this morning to see the doctor. Drum roll please...... Graham has hand, foot and mouth virus. I got some home remedy instructions and a tylenol/codeine (yes!) script. So Graham and I are looking forward to some sleep. He doesn't yet know that comes in the form of forcing liquid medicine down his throat, and if he vomits it up like he has been this weekend, I am armed with tylenol suppositories. Yes, suppositories.
The spitting is becasue the little guy has sores on the inside of his mouth that hurt quite a bit. The doctor was pleased with the tears he produced at the appointment, indicating he is not severly dehydrated yet. So that is what I watch for and a inceasing temp and a decline in temperment. But today I finally feel we are on the mend. It is so nice to have a name for our illness, even if the name is hand, foot and mouth.
Some light reading from the CDC on hand, foot and mouth.
http://0-www.cdc.gov.pugwash.lib.warwick.ac.uk/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm
Note on attached photo - Warren put this shirt on Graham and said what does a Pirate say and Graham went Aaarggh, complete wiht the arm and everything. This was last week before all the fun began. Boy does he need a haircut! I guess I'll get to that when we are out of quarantine.
Danielle
Monday, February 18, 2008
Aaargggh!
Over the weekend the limp got much better, but the fever and lethargy persisted. Then he developed a bizarre spitting habit. So we went in this morning to see the doctor. Drum roll please...... Graham has hand, foot and mouth virus. I got some home remedy instructions and a tylenol/codeine (yes!) script. So Graham and I are looking forward to some sleep. He doesn't yet know that comes in the form of forcing liquid medicine down his throat, and if he vomits it up like he has been this weekend, I am armed with tylenol suppositories. Yes, suppositories.
The spitting is becasue the little guy has sores on the inside of his mouth that hurt quite a bit. The doctor was pleased with the tears he produced at the appointment, indicating he is not severly dehydrated yet. So that is what I watch for and a inceasing temp and a decline in temperment. But today I finally feel we are on the mend. It is so nice to have a name for our illness, even if the name is hand, foot and mouth.
Some light reading from the CDC on hand, foot and mouth.
http://0-www.cdc.gov.pugwash.lib.warwick.ac.uk/ncidod/dvrd/revb/enterovirus/hfhf.htm
Note on attached photo - Warren put this shirt on Graham and said what does a Pirate say and Graham went Aaarggh, complete wiht the arm and everything. This was last week before all the fun began. Boy does he need a haircut! I guess I'll get to that when we are out of quarantine.
Danielle
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Danielle, I'm so sorry for your family, and for Graham in particular. I hope your little guy is back to himself soon.
Post a Comment