Monday, September 21, 2009

Art Project

Friday of last week I went to Claire's school to help her class with an art project. The project required one on one time with each student. I had such a fun time seeing all the children from kindergarten and meeting the new ones in first grade. Claire has 20 students in her class and I helped 12 finish their project. There was a student assembly they needed to go to half way through my time there, so I stuffed folders and started taking down a bulletin board. When the children came back from the assembly, each one I worked on their art project with I asked 2 questions: Did you have fun at the assembly? and What was it about? Each and everyone of them replied Yes and I don't know. At least they are consistent!
Monday morning, today, I went back to help the last 8 students with their project. After I finished the teacher had me put them up on the bulletin board outside of class. For my first bulletin board I was pleased with the result.
I left room in the middle on top for the title, guessing something about fall, ya think? I am helping in Claire's class one day a week in the morning while Graham is in preschool. It is so nice to get to know the children. Claire gets so excited when she sees me come in the door, and really how long will that last? I always felt so special when my mom came to school. While I was in the hallway, working on the bulletin board, children from Claire's kindergarten class who are not in her first grade class, waved and said 'Hi Claire's mom!'
When I left today, I went over to Claire's desk to say goodbye. She was focused on her
work, but she looked up at me and said I didn't get a turn with you, on what you were doing in the hallway. And I said yes you did, on Friday, I just didn't get to everyone and came to finish up. It was one of those moments when they look deep in your eyes and we both understand each other completely, or they are searching for the truth and comfortable with what she saw she said oh, OK and went back to her work. I kissed her and went to pick up Graham.
Have a great week,
Claire's Mom

No comments: