Sunday, June 22, 2008

Western Washington Quilt Shop Hop

I have been done the Western Washington Quilt Shop Hop 5 years since 2002, I skipped two years when Graham was born, so they were not consecutive years.
I picked up a few blocks (2) in 2002, someday I will make those into a pillow, then in 2003, when Claire was a month old I got about 20 blocks, thanks to some help from my mother who I was just getting hooked on quilting. The hop runs from Wednesday to Sunday the last week in June. So Claire and I traveled to about 10 shops from Bellevue to Smokey Point in those 5 days in between her naps. Mom picked up the remaining 10 or so Blocks from the Olympia area, because she still lived down there. I had asked her to pick some up if she had time and I think picking those blocks up and catching the excitement of quilt shop hop is what lured her into quilting. I can remember sitting in my family room with Claire and my mom walking in with the packet of blocks that I had so wished I could go get, but with a newborn was so unable to get. I was so excited!
In 2004 & 2005 we took Claire, we would go on a Wednesday night to local shops from Duvall to Seattle sans Claire, then Friday, with Claire, head to Bellingham, stay in Anacortes, hit the peninsula on Saturday and stay in Olympia, then Sunday hit the southern shops and head home.
2006, we both skipped and 2007 I skipped, but Mom went with some friends. Neither year did I like the fabric choices.
This year we went, the fabric was good and I wanted to go again and the kids and hubby were ready. So Wednesday last week we went to a store in Ballard, Pike Place Market, Bellevue and Bothell. On Thursday and Friday we rested. On Saturday we did a bus tour that hit the following, Woodinville, Bothell, Stanwood, Arlington, Everett, Smokey Point, Lynden, Anacortes, and Bellingham. Sunday we took Claire and hit the southern shops. In total we went to 30+ shops. Claire was excited to get to go with us. We had a great time and I am quilting a ton again! It helps to get some inspiration and recharge.

No comments: