Sunday, October 18, 2009

Testing at School, Swimming and Coats

On Monday I was at Claire's school helping the school nurse with hearing and vision testing. I shuttled the kids back and forth from the classrooms to the library for testing. It was fun and it was going faster than planned and I shuffled things a bit, snuck some of the later classes in the gaps and we got done a half hour early, I was on fire! Here is my little clown, he is pretending to be a 'backpack'.... We started a new swimming session on Tuesday, they are both close to passing to the next level. Graham needs to work on swimming to the wall with head under for 3 seconds, right now he does one second and back float for 3 seconds, same thing, he does one right now. Claire just needs to pull together the swimming, tall arms and side breathing for 35 feet, it's the breathing part she's needs to add in. So I imagine they will both pass this session and I am crossing my fingers that a time works for us for the next level. I have some time to worry about that, so I am officially shelving that worry, whew! You are my witness. She also began learning the inverted breaststroke, which is my favorite stroke and I vividly remember learning it and when it clicked how to do the leg part. So she is working on the leg part while her arms are holding a kick board to keep her a float. Here she is waiting for her class to start.... It was the week of coats. I take full responsibility for the weather turning to crap. I bought both kids winter jackets on Sunday and Monday morning the rain and cold started. On Thursday I went to Freddies to get rain coats and boots. Do you know I went all over the mall on Sunday and could not find rain boots or coats. I went to all the usual places, even went into a store called Justice (it used to be limited too) and asked if they had raincoats. The salesgirl said and I quote 'yeah, we have some raincoats but they aren't waterproof', hmmmm, bet there's a big demand for those. Freddies came through for me, I only had 2 choices in Claire's size and the boys coats were pretty picked over, but I found matching coats and boots for both. Claire's are dragonfly boots and Graham's are dinosaur. Since they are so shiny, people have been complementing him on them and his canned response to all is, 'They are dinosaur boots, that is a pterodactyl' as he points to the pterodactyl.
And the laundry room/downstairs bathroom. The drywall dried and Warren and I spent our date night putting the primer on and then this morning we painted the ceiling. We will try to do what we can during the week with painting. The ceiling is done so he is putting the lights up or the 'plates' whatever those are. I am apparently a very bad painter, or rather I lack any experience. Warren admits to being a bad teacher. With all of that we did manage to have fun, we talked, listened to music, no blood was shed and no paint brushes thrown. We even had time for 2 episodes of project runway. The ceiling is called iced peach, not sure if you can tell the color in the photo, but it is a very nice color. It will be very cheery, which you need in a laundry room. Laundry needs all the help it can get being fun. The wall to the left will be a dark peach, orange really and the other walls are a light peach, but darker than the ceiling.
My brother in law Jay went home on Wednesday. It was nice having him visit, the kids enjoyed him being here and Claire would move her chair around the table so she could sit by him, where ever he was. We ended of moving seats around at dinner so that Jay was at the head of the table and he was sitting by both kids. That meant Warren was sitting next to me, which was a nice change.
More next weekend! Have a great week!
Danielle

No comments: